Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Snow surprise

It snowed today. The last day of February - which is, admittedly, still the middle of winter - began wet and ended white.

I experienced the early morning snowfall up close and personal, out running at 6:30 a.m., my face pelted with icy rain/sleet, my glasses smeared with water and my vision severely impaired. I was pretty confident that this semi-snow would come to nothing. And in fact, by the time I went to work at 9 a.m., the "snow" had shifted to a light rain. Word drifted in of snowfall to the south, but accumulation seemed unlikely.

But then, at around 3:00, I looked outside and was startled to see big, heavy snowflakes falling. Soon the snow started to stick and the ground began to whiten. I quickly shifted my plans to accommodate possible snow accumulation (as unlikely as it seemed). A trip to Starbucks for an afternoon latte, and some grocerty shopping, seemed important. I was pretty sure I could still make my Pilates class, but began to consider the possibility of skipping it.

By the time I drove the short but excrutiatingly slow trip to Starbucks, and began inching my way back to the office through rapidly accumulating slushy snow, I came to the happy conclusion that Pilates was not a good plan, and in fact I should get home as soon as possible. (Later I also realized that the Pilates class would probably be canceled anyway due to the weather.)

So for once I ended up at home by 6:30 p.m., with time on my hands. Hard to know what to do with an evening not spent working out! Of course I rejected any sensible plan such as paying bills or cleaning house. Instead I washed the dishes, made tomorrow's lunch, and warmed up some spicy salmon soup for dinner.

Perhaps tonight I'll make a start on that goal I have to get more sleep at night.

No comments: