Friday, March 16, 2007

Party time?

So, tomorrow's St. Patrick's Day, the patron saint day of partiers everywhere. I'm not Irish, and not a big observer of St. Patrick's Day (I view all parades with suspicion and boredom), but I am aware that lots of people consider it an opportunity to drink lots of beer. Green beer, in some cases! So I hear.

Usually St. Patrick's Day is barely a blip on my radar - perhaps involving wearing some item of green apparel - like for example, wearing my Shamrock Run tee shirt to the Y. (Who am I kidding? I've worn it twice this week already. How else would I let the world know I participated in a 15K race?)

But tomorrow I am actually observing St. Pat's Day by going to a friend's party. So not throwing myself into the full whirlpool of the bar hopping, pub crawling partiers, just into a minor eddy of friends and acquaintances (and some strangers, I suppose). It will be fun, I tell myself. Better to socialize than sit home watching TV. Better to nibble on party food than leave myself to the grazing festival that too much time at home can precipitate. Better to dress up in some fun outfit than hang out in my pajamas, because I have too many clothes not to wear them as often as I can. (I should probably wear my Shamrock Run shirt as a conversation starter, but that seems a bit extreme. And wasteful of any number of potential party outfits.)

I admit I'd probably rather hang out at home in my pajamas and watch TV. (I almost said, "with the cats," but don't want to designate myself a total cat lady spinster!) Socializing is a chore, of sorts, but I'm up to the job! And happily, the party's only a few blocks from my house, so the trip home will be fast. Lucky for me.

No comments: